Sunday, July 10, 2011

AIDA The Musical

I had the chance to watch Atlantis Productions Inc. second offering this year, AIDA, last weekend. It was a last minute decision for me if I should watch it or not, so I had to get my ticket on the same day. It was worth it!

AIDA is a musical with music by Elton John, lyrics by Tim Rice and book by Linda Woolverton, Robert Falls and David Henry Hwang. The local production stars Ima Castro, Rachel Alejandro and Myke Salomon and directed by Chari Arespacochaga. This is the first time I saw Ima perform and she was great. Her voice was just amazing. Rachel is equally amazing, I saw her before in Xanadu and Avenue Q and Aida once again shows how great a performer she is.The set was so simple that it doesn't distract you from the actors but enough to show changes in each scene and support the narrative.

I love the song "Written in the Stars" where Radames and Aida sang about the complications of the circumstances of their love together before finally parting. Although both in love, they know each has their own responsibility that they have to fulfill.


"You are all I'll ever want, but this I am denied
Sometimes in my darkest thoughts, I wish I'd never learned
  What it is to be in love and have that love returned"
                                                         Radames

No comments:

Post a Comment